Wednesday, December 27, 2006

what I do not want for christmas...

...your pity.

If I choose to remain in the city where I live and not travel 3000 miles with 3,000,000 other people in order to visit my family, there's a really good chance I may spend the day distinctly not celebrating Christmas. I may watch a DVD (this is an excellent choice), read a book, work on my novel, do some laundry, talk on the phone, cook an elaborate meal or eat mac & cheese, take a nap, blog, make a mixed CD, go hiking, finally write my Christmas cards...in other words, anything and everything that strikes my fancy. How many people - struggling to maintain their self-esteem while being pummeled by their relatives' probing questions and passive-aggressive put-downs - would love to spend the day the way I get to? More than a few, I would suspect.

Therefore, I do not need you to call me on Christmas and repeatedly ask me what I'm going to do - your voice dripping with condescending concern - even after I have told you I'm going to do whatever I damn well please. And yes, I'm more than OK.

1 comment:

eos said...

Having just endured holiday travel with those 3,000,000 and thinking about what I could have done with the time had I not been trapped in lines, in crowded airports, in uncomfortable planes, with cranky, anxious people, I am envious of your time to do whatever strikes your fancy in your own lovely company. I wish for this all year long, not just at the holidays. Good for you!